Wednesday 17 February 2010

My ten greatest extravagances


No 10..
I do have a slightly vain weakness for nice sunglasses. Generally I am a bit shambolic, ungroomed, unironed and unkempt. But if it is sunny I will wack on my Police aviators.
On Friday I tried on a pair of £250 Tom Ford aviators while Frau went to the loo.
No 9..
Wetsuits. I currently own a nice full bodysuit. A bit battered and well used. But I have had some of the best times of my life innit.
No 8..
Years ago I was working near Frankfurt. When I came home me and Frau used to take a bottle of Henckel trocken up to the bathroom. We would chat about the week, in the bath. "Me at tap end".
Pretty rock n roll..
No 7..
A few years ago I bought a Tandem on a whim, cost £300. We occasionally whip off to the woods on it. It feels like we are in the nineteen twenty's.
No 6..
I buy a lot of books. Working my way through subjects. Travel, exploration. I got stuck on a huge spell of mountaineering disasters. Sci fi. Philosophy. I do however,wish I had a proper format. I intend to aim at some proper lingual skills next. starting with old Greek.
No 5..
In Two thousand ,I rented a villa with a pool in Beautiful Zakynthos. It over looked an olive grove and on to a misty mountain monastery. In the day the swallows would occasionally take swooping sips from the water. In the evening the bats did the same. We explored the island in a battered old Fiat multipla. We took all of our four children. It cost a fortune.
No 4..
On the beach at Alykes, I spent a lot of Drachma at Costas watersports. On all sorts of Ringo rides and what not.But mainly blatting across the Ionian on stupidly quick unregulated wet bikes..Frau would be screaming in my ear to slow down, but she actualy loved it.
No 3..
Road trips ,to New Zealand" with four kids, two at adult price." Drove all around South Island up to Abel Tasmen national park. Then on up to North Island. Then back home via Barrier reef.
Recent trip around middle Europe ,then up through Scandinavia.
Up through the Highlands then out to the Outer Hebrides, down through Skye back onto mainland and back to Edinburgh.
No 2..
Purchased a twelve and a half inch Newtonian reflector. I can see galaxies with it.As well as the planets in pretty good definition. The moon is enormous, crisp and very detailed. Also extremely bright. Needs a greenish filter.
N0 1..
Snowboarding costs a fortune anyway. when you bring your children along it costs even more.I would however feel terrible if I was on the mountains, knowing that my kids were stuck in a smelly old classroom in the midlands.
When you have been sliding down a mountain all day, and you stop. Meet up and sit at a mountain restaurant in the sunshine. Order an extortionately priced round of hot chocolates. And then start to swap anecdotes from the days exploits.All excited messy haired and red faced.
You cannot place a value on such moments. They truly are the times of ones life.

No comments: