Friday 12 February 2010

Everything in its right place

On the culture show last night,there was an item about a couple in Leeds who collect art.
They had previously been interviewed about their tastes. The woman had mentioned how much she admired Damien Hirsts butterflies.
Damien had called her after the programme to thank her for her praise. He later sent her an original work. It is on proud display, on a wall in their modest terrace house. Truly art for the people.
Today I have been visiting Cambridge. I was killing time while my son had an interview and ended up in, Kings college chapel.
What a masterpiece of architecture, light, and acoustics.
For ten quid, my wife and I were spellbound by an ancient piece of artifice. The organ nestles in the middle. Carved from oak amidst the choir stalls. I can only wonder at the resonance of a full choral service , cranked all the way up to eleven..
I didn't feel at all unwelcome and unwashed ,like the "other place" makes the visiting Hoi Poloi feel..

No comments: