Saturday 17 May 2008

Miserable teenager


As a disaffected youth growing up in Coventry, I sometimes found my fellow teenagers irritating and often found myself wandering into my neighbour Clive's garage..

Clive and his family were the first black people on our council estate, and they were exotically different..I used to watch him fixing his old Ford cortina or building up speakers and I would listen to his music..Usually a deep beat Reggae tune spilling out into our close as we talked while he worked..I cannot remember what we talked about, but any reggae beat takes me straight back to the smell of engine oil and the memory of late seventies Coventry..

The popular music at the time was two tone ska but I found it tinny and with little base..I was also two cynical to go with the flow..Which in retrospect would have been the smoother direction to trendiness and girls..

No comments: